All Kick in the Eye pieces are handmade with precious metal, quality stones and durability in mind - pieces will last well into the future if loved and taken care of.
- Don't allow your jewellery to come into contact with chemicals such as household products or chlorinated pools, or it may discolour.
- It is safe and fine to wear sterling silver in the shower. In most cases it keeps the metal clean and shiny.
- Over time light scratches may appear on the surface of your jewellery, so take it off when performing labor intensive tasks to prevent this.
- As for the nature of sterling silver, the highly polished finish may eventually become a more of a muted shine. Microfibre polishing cloths are great at restoring lustre.
It is normal for black patina tarnish to eventually build up on sterling silver jewellery, due to natural reactions between skin oils and chemicals in the air.
Follow these steps to remove black tarnish:
Line a bowl with aluminium foil, shiny side up. Dissolve 1 heaped tablespoon of bicarb soda and 1 teaspoon of salt into 1 cup of boiling water. Then add 1/2 a cup of white vinegar (it will fizz). Place your jewellery evenly onto the foil and leave it in there for up to an hour or until the tarnish has visibly cleared. Gently scrub with a soft nail brush and non-chemical soap. Rinse and dry. Rub with a polishing cloth.
GOLD PLATED JEWELLERY
Through natural wear the surface layer of Gold Plated items will eventually fade - this could take months or years to diminish depending on how often the product is worn and what state it is kept in. It's highly recommended to treat Gold Plated items very delicately and cautiously.
- Take off plated jewellery when washing hands, in the shower, when doing any work that may rub on the metal, when putting on creams or disinfectants ect.
- Store plated jewellery in a place where other pieces aren't resting against the metal.
- Never let it contact chemicals.